Hemsworth Town Council was formed under the provisions of the Local Government Act 1972 and came into existence on 01 April 1974. The Town Council is a successor body to the former Hemsworth Urban District Council, which was abolished on 31 March 1973.
Parish and Town Councils have been in existence since 1894 and they are the tier of local government closest to the people. They are independent from any other local authority and are governed by statute provided from Central Government. Parish and Town Councils have powers to undertake services for the benefit of the residents within the township that they serve. Most of the powers held by Parish and Town Councils are discretionary, so it may do something, rather than it must do something.
In order to finance their services, Parish and Town Councils have the right to ask for money (the parish precept) from the District Council and this is collected as part of the council tax for that area. The assets and liabilities of Hemsworth Town Council are the Council’s and not those of the elected councillors who serve on the five wards.
Hemsworth Town Council’s aims and values are to maintain a high standard of service in the areas over which the Council has direct responsibility. In order to assess the Council’s standards, consultation with the residents of the township takes place in the form of questionnaires, press releases, meetings and newsletters. This Council delivers a range of services at a community level and our role is to represent the local community and provide services to meet local needs.
As a mark of the high standards achieved by Hemsworth Town Council the Council was awarded Quality Parish Status in April 2008 and recieved re-accreditation in 2012.